Keeping Karma Happy

Thanks to a British cherub named Megan sales of my ebook in the United Kingdom have positively exploded overnight. In the interest of keeping karma happy I’ve decided to use today’s blog post to call attention to one of my favorite UK authors ever.

Ray Banks.

I first discovered Banks through a friend of mine named Jeb. There was a time when Jeb didn’t read much because he said everything was, “all romance and crap.” Then someone suggested Ray Banks and he was hooked. He suggested Banks to me and I’ve been a fan ever since.

I’d put Banks in line with authors like James Ellroy and Elmore Leonard. And for those of you who don’t read (yes, I know you’re out there) his books read like Guy Ritchie movies. Not for the squeamish, but each book has many moments of classic UK hilarity. His books are for sale on Amazon and his website The Saturday Boy

Next, onto blogs.

I feel safe in saying that this guy probably forgot more about the English language than I ever learned. His blog is an absolute must for anyone remotely interested in how language works. You can find him in my blogroll to the right and at Sentence First

Lastly, music.

Once again, Jeb got me hooked on something called “Dub step.” I’m not exactly sure what Dub step actually is, but from my understanding you cannot discuss Dub step without also discussing the London underground (if any of my British followers out there wish to elaborate, please do. I cringe just knowing I’m not doing the description justice). Dub step won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I am absolutely addicted to it. Here’s a sample:

You can also find Megan at Verynormal and my buddy Jeb at Just Jeb.

1. Dub Step has completely exploded throughout the UK, most of the time I’m not a fan of it but there are some people that are quite good. It’s a pretty hard genre to explain so you shouldn’t be cringing too much. It’s like a cross between electronic and dance music with a dash of synths and a bit of club and trance thrown in. I’m no expert but I think that’s the gist of it. If you’re addicted you should check out Example, Magnetic Man, Katy B and Chase & Status. They’re everywhere over here at the moment haha.

September 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm

• Alright! Another Certified Banger!

September 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

2. I feel like if I am listening to DubStep I am required to be in a local night-club dancing with glow sticks. Just saying…

September 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm

3. Imogen Shepard

Ahhhh….Dub step, very,very similar or may even be in exactly the same bracket as British ‘Ska’. Bands like ‘The Specials’, ‘The Selekta’, ‘Bad Manners’ and a softer version with the likes of ‘Madness’. ,Love it. There’s a club in London, I don’t know if it’s still there, called the ‘Dub Club’ that was pretty cool with the music having a real heavy,heavy bass line to it. British Ska was massive in the 70’s early 80’s with The Specials really leading the pack. Because of all the racial tension that existed in the UK at the time, the band were about 8 members both white and black on the ‘Two Tone’ record label bringing black and white together, Then in 1981 there kicked off pretty bad racial riots and The Specials split up and done their last track ‘Ghost Town’ which you got to have a listen to as it was a song about what damage those riots did in fact do. That’s a blast from the past,I still think I have The Specials album-they really speak about what it was like in Britain at the time.

September 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

• Imogen Shepard

Right, I’ve just listened to your clip and this isn’t the Dub I’m talking about. I can hear elements to it but it just sounds like an eclectic mix of everything like Summer was saying. I’m of the ‘older’ generation who got bought up on the British Ska and Dub I were talking about but this new stuff sounds pretty cool nonetheless and still has that heavy B-Line.

September 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

4. Jeb posted something that I think is closer to what you all are talking about. Is it sort of like what I posted above mixed with Reggae? That’s what it sounds like to me anyway. Really like it.

September 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

• Imogen Shepard

Yeah that’s what it is H.E. Ska is basically Reggae but a sub version of it if that makes sense? And Dub is a form of Reggae with that heavy B-line I was talking about. So yeah,to me the Dub Step is like the ‘New Ska’. We’ve been waiting for a Ska revival for YEARS and it never happened so maybe Dub Step is IT.

September 10, 2011 at 7:46 am

5. Congrats on your ebook! That’s great.

September 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm

6. Not the Broth

My stalker victim’s 13 year old told me she heard some dub step on a trip to Subway on Sunday. She want’s to get a hold of more of their stuff. Give me some good recs on whats good. She’s a colossal pain in the ass know it all, so if I can occupy her with music, I win more time with her mom. Crap, she’ll probably like this, too.

September 7, 2011 at 8:10 am