Mental Masturbation

A trip over to Kayjai’s Blog got me thinking about how frustrating it can be when we, as writers sometimes get stuck on a plot point or some bit of characterization, and how that can lead us to believe we suck ass at everything. Well don’t despair, because I’ve found a cure.

I write my own fan fiction. To be honest, I write my own slash fan fiction. For those of you who don’t know what fan fiction is let me fill you in:

Take your favorite television show or movie or novel and write your own “episode” involving the established characters. Slash fan fiction takes it one step further in that the “episode” would be between two characters, for instance “Romeo/Juliet.” (slash=/), and their interaction is of an “intimate” nature.

Believe it or not this is the fastest way to snap me out of an episode of writer’s block. Your fan fiction doesn’t (and probably shouldn’t) need to have anything to do with your storyline. You just pluck your characters out and insert them into brief situations of a “naughty” nature. I find that by the time you’re halfway through writing the “episode” enough of the characters’ inner complexity will be revealed to you. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever actually finished one of my fan fiction stories. But now that I’ve finished my novel maybe I will…

1. Hmmm…interesting. I’ll let you know if I try it….

September 15, 2011 at 5:34 pm

2. Neat writing exercise. Probably gets the processes started.

September 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm

3. I’ve read a lot of books on writing, and I’m pretty sure that advice was never included! Great idea – and I love your alliterative title!

September 15, 2011 at 7:52 pm

4. Very interesting post! That might be of help…since at this moment I have no clue what to write on my blog.

September 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm

5. Pingback: My Favorite Blog Posts! + Tweeters :) « verynormal

6. This is how I started writing fanfiction LOL After my first NaNo effort in ’09 I couldn’t leave my boys alone and began writing all sorts of *interesting* scenario’s… So I switched the names and posted it as Twilight slash fiction. *sigh* Slippery slope ;)

September 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm

7. Oh, and FYI, ‘slash’ refers to a same sex pairing within fanfiction. So Romeo/Juliet isn’t actually slash ;) I’ve read some lovely Romeo/Mercutio slash fanfic though. Just saying :D

September 18, 2011 at 6:19 pm

• You’re right about slash, but I wasn’t sure how well that would be received by readers. I will tell you that my book is filled with mostly boys so I had a lot of fun writing some truly homoerotic stuff. I’m a God in my world, after all.

September 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm