ADHD Poem Reblog

I was nearly moved to tears the other day by a post I read at the Ohmygawd, just do what I say! blog entitled: ADHD, Our Own Personal Hell. It’s difficult to explain to someone who doesn’t have ADHD what the world is like for its sufferers. Imagine standing in front of a wall of televisions while someone stands behind you rapidly changing all the channels.

Now pick a single television to focus on.

I encourage you to not only read the poem below but also to visit this very entertaining blog written by Gingersnaap, a woman with a lot to say.

****

We are not like the rest,

Yet we desire to do our best.

Not meaning to disappoint or anger,

We want you to love and accept her,

Right where she is at,

But not because of obedience, no, not that.

My brain chemistry is very different,

My Dopamine non-existent.

Please, it’s not our fault,

and it often sends us into a downward catapult.

Is there a Monster under his bed?

No, but there is one is his head,

Telling him he is stupid and bad,

and that he is nothing but a Discipline case to his Dad.

We want to BE like everyone else,

Honest, it’s true.

To be told we are accepted and not a nuisance to you,

And to finish our work or not lose our cool,

But your expectation of perfection?

Well, it is that of a fool.

We need your help to fight the Demons,

both Sub-Conscience and Real,

Yet you throw your hands up and defiantly refuse to deal.

We know what we ‘SHOULD’ do,

The ignorant tell us everyday,

But I beg you to understand,

We do it all very differently, in every single way.

Ours ways are not your ways,

And yours will never be mine.

But we won’t be who YOU need us to be,

Not in any amount of time.

Our souls in constant torment,

We want to make you happy,

Yet God made us this way,

And your arrogance is crappy.

It’s ADHD and only the strong will survive,

It’s NOT because we’re lazy or dreadfully Un-Alive.

Un-Education is your worst enemy,

and will only cause more strife.

I suggest you learn more about us,

So you can have your Utopian life.

God gave this to us,

Who am I to wish for different?

Yet still I ask for more compassion,

In EVERY shape, form and fashion.

Punish us if that makes you feel better,

But I beg you to see,

This human before you,

Is desperately fighting to be free.

I cannot make it go away,

But for you we will foolishly try,

And cause more and more anxiety,

Until all we can say is GoodBye.

- written by Gingersnaap

1. A great reblog. Thanks for the connect! :D

December 28, 2011 at 3:12 am

2. Jonathan Borden

I like this a lot.

December 28, 2011 at 3:45 am

• Thanks. This topic hits close to home for me. Best of all, Gingersnaap is a riot.

December 28, 2011 at 6:53 am

3. This is my job..I give accommodations for college for students with learning challenges, most with ADHD. Educating even the educators is difficult, but necessary. Wonderful poem. With the right understanding and even a little help with adaptive technologies, everybody gets to learn on an even playing field. This is a great way to give insight into what some see as a ‘disability’ but really is merely a different way of being.

December 28, 2011 at 7:14 am

• Well said, Kayjai. A large part of why my son Prince Charming is so awesome is because he was surrounded by teachers who embraced the challenge of educating him in a way that allowed him to feel successful. I shudder to think what would have become of him had the school system been less sympathetic to his needs. As much as I’d like to take credit for the wonder that is my son, it’s because of those educators that he’s become the success he is now. It’s people like them and you, Kayjai who make men like him possible.

Another part of what I used to do in my job was work with special needs children; specifically children with Autism. I’m thinking of doing a post on the misconceptions surrounding that condition sometime in the future. If this topic falls under your spectrum of expertise I’d love your input.

December 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

• Actually, at the beginning of my career, I worked as a Child Therapist with pre-school children with Autism. Very interesting and I loved working with them. I’ll give you any input I can. Email me whenever you like. I will gladly give you any info I can.

December 29, 2011 at 7:01 am

4. That was beautiful. We have friends with a child who has adhd, and while she is a handful, she has a wonderful support system, including family friends and teachers.

Off to check out the blog…

December 28, 2011 at 8:28 am

• They are a handful, but the reward of their unique perspective makes it worth it. I can definitely tell the difference between the posts I’ve written on my meds and the ones I’ve written off.

December 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

5. You ROCK H.E., you rock bigtime!
    :o)

December 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

• Uber moms need to stick together, Ginger. I’ve got your back, always.

December 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

6. It does illicit an emotional response, doesn’t it? Excellent share, my friend.

December 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

• Thanks a lot. It’s always good to get the info out there. Wow…I sounded like a spambot just then.

December 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

7. Amazing how much the world has changed in just 10 years. Before people like this, there was only a, DOPE them up attitude. Now there is a greater understanding on add and ADHD.
    And the greatness that can come with it.
    As a parent of an ADHD child I thank you all for allowing our children to become great.

December 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

8. I think I shall forward this to the women’s shelter I volunteer at. They do a wonderful school program about bullying and raising awareness about learning disabilities.

December 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm

9. Thanks for sharing this. My daughter has mild ADD, and her teacher makes her feel terrible for it. ADD is a struggle for those who have it and for those who love the ones who have it and want to help them find their way in this world.

January 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm