Prince Charming Has Left The Building

These past few weeks have seen many milestones at my house, but none more so than my oldest son, Prince Charming, turning eighteen and graduating high school.

From the day he was born he’s been a non-stop ball of energy who gave his father and I, both full of energy ourselves, a run for our money.

First there was elementary school where he was expelled from Kindergarten for setting off the fire alarm and causing the Fire Department to respond not once, not twice, but three times in one week. Somebody wanted to take a ride on the engine.

The next eight years were a blur of parent-teacher meetings and organized after school activities, all designed to burn off his excess energy. You can imagine how ecstatic his father and I were when he managed to graduate from the eighth grade and went on to play high school football.

High school brought new concerns in the form of girls. “Prince Charming” isn’t a name I came up with– it was bestowed upon him by his female classmates who responded to his reputation for being gentlemanly. You better believe I take full credit for teaching him that.

And while Prince Charming was a great kid he struggled academically and worked for every grade he got. Everyday his father and I worked right along side him to get him where he needed to go. When he took that walk up to the podium to accept his diploma, there wasn’t a dry eye in our family. My son has come a long way from the first time we held him to letting him go today.

To the right is the first picture I ever took of my son Michael (he’s a man now so I guess I can say his name). The picture is of him with his father at three days old (Yeah, I’m onto you, HR. Don’t think I didn’t notice you wearing my Doctor Feelgood concert tee shirt. I knew you had it!)

It’s kind of frightening to think that my son is older today than HR was in this picture. Both HR and I take pride in raising a kid who made better choices than we did. We can only hope to say the same thing about Junior someday. Yeah, I’m not holding my breath.

*** CONGRATULATIONS MICHAEL ***

1. That’s quite an achievement, raising a son and getting him through HS. You should be very proud, of him and yourselves. Congratulations, HE/HR!

June 18, 2012 at 1:33 am

2. I just nearly cried, although we have already been over this! ahaha I have problems. Top Lad, Top Family. Me loves you all.

June 18, 2012 at 3:49 am

3. Congratulations not only to Prince Charming but to you and HR as well. I know how hard those years sitting with him to get those grades must have been for you. Seen that, still do that…it’s not easy, especially when it’s your own child. Well done…

June 18, 2012 at 7:39 am

4. From what you have written in several of your posts about the Prince, you and your ex have done a fabulous job of parenting. I wish the Prince well as he makes his way in the world and I know that with the foundation you have given him, he will find success in all of his endeavors.

June 18, 2012 at 8:02 am

5. Funny. I didn’t realize the “Ladie’s Man ” gene could be passed down from father to son…

June 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

6. Congratulations, Prince Charming.
    And way to go, HE and HR. Next round’s on me – you earned it!

So how does Junior feel about you two now having more time to keep an eye on him?

June 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

7. Congratulations to Michael!

June 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

8. Congratulations are in order :) . I’m super happy for you H ! :D

June 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

9. Congrats to all.

June 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm

10. congrats should always go to the parents. Nobody other than a parent can realize how much work goes into raising kids. Bravo!

June 24, 2012 at 7:57 am