The Hotspur Challenge – Manfred Mann Edition

Resident blogger and uber audiophile Edward Hotspur recently penned (typed? keyed?) a post entitled: AN ANALYSIS AND DISSECTION OF THE UTTERLY STUPID SONG “ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU”  in which he deciphers the twisted meaning behind Heart’s atrocious lyrics.

Naturally that got me thinking, and no good ever comes of that. So in the spirit of his blog post I offer up this challenge to the great EH:

What the hell was Manfred Mann trying to say when they released BLINDED BY THE LIGHT? I mean, WTF??? Just how prolific were drugs in the seventies?

1. Bruce Springsteen wrote the song, so I guess Manfred Mann”s Earth Band was trying to say they liked it.

Well, that was fun. You have another challenge?

August 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

• By the way, thank you for the plug! You’re the best.

August 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

• WHAT?? THAT’S IT?? Oh no. I need more than that.

Yeah, yeah, that’s what she said.

August 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

2. Bruce Springsteen was at the height of his first blush of popularity. Manfred Mann was a business man as much as a musician. As with Dylan’s “Mighty Quinn”, he knew he could have a sizable hit with “Blinded By The Light”. Despite the way Mann pronounces it, the line is “wrapped up like a duce” not “wrapped up like a douche”.

August 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

• I always wondered about that word. What’s funny is that I first heard this song as a very young kid, so I sang the lyrics wrong without knowing what they were/weren’t. I remember when I finally learned what a douche was, and then a short time later reheard that song. It was a very odd moment in my life.

August 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

3. Hellis, that song is a list song, just like We Didn’t Start The Fire or It’s The End Of The World As We Know It, and therefore it means all kinds of stuff. In this case, it’s all stuff personal to Bruce Springsteen. It doesn’t try to pretend to be one thing when it’s really about another, and it doesn’t try to be factual when it’s really false. It’s like a journal. In other words, I can’t rip it, because it would be like ripping someone’s deep and personal blog post.

But if you really want to know what it all means, go here:

And skip to 9:00. Springsteen happened to talk about Blinded by the Light on VH-1 Storytellers. Which is another reason I can’t rip it. He explains what some of the stuff means. As I suspected, some of it is just “hey, this rhymes, so let’s use it”.

Also, Bruce says “Cut loose like a deuce”, as in a two seater sports car, while Manfred Mann says “Revved up like a deuce”, said in such a way that it sounds like “douche”, which Bruce also mentioned. Also, Mann’s version cut out half the lyrics, but had way better music.

August 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

• I watched that clip and I see where you are coming from. I definitely preferred the acoustic bit of this song that he performed to the released MM version. I am sure there is a stupid song out there just dying for the Hotspur treatment. I’ll think of one. :)

August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

• I prefer the Manfred Mann version. I appreciate his eloquent explanations, and his poetry, I guess, somewhat, but I pretty much don’t like Bruce Springsteen. To the point that when the Killers stopped imitating British New Wave bands and started imitating Bruce, I stopped liking them also.

August 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

• Man, I sound like some kind of fucking snob, huh? But seriously, I never liked Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton or Bruce Springsteen, and I always change the channel/station/video when they come on.

August 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm

• No, you do not sound like a snob. I completely understand what you’re talking about. I feel the same way about Billy Joel.

It seems to me that they all started their careers recording music that was honest and unlike anything that had ever been heard before. As time went on and their popularity grew, they began to take themselves and their “art” too seriously, and it found its way into their music. That’s what I think anyway.

August 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm

• I think I don’t like them for the same reason I don’t like country music. I generally don’t like art that is based on real life too closely. If I wanted real life, I’d, you know, live. I like my art to be more abstract and deep and general, or at least to say the same thing in a new and interesting way.

And even then, it could be that I just don’t like them, period, and I’m overanalyzing it.

August 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

• Don’t even get me started on country music. Twenty years in south Florida cured me of liking that shit real quick.

I still have the drawl, though. Anyone who wants to know what I sound like in real life can buy GOA and then read everything Gus says.

August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

• South Florida sounds like a place you’d pick up more of a Cuban accent. Also, malaria.

August 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

4. Aye Poppi! Io sto bene, ma la mia scrittura e mal amende.

Crap. That’s Italian. I need to work on my linguistics.

That’s what she said.