Calling All Leftys!

Today is our day! That’s right people, August 13th is national LEFT HANDERS DAY! Why August 13th you ask? Yeah, I have no clue. But I’d bet that between scissors, measuring cups and chainsaws Karma owes me at least three more upgrades in the reincarnation department, let alone my own holiday.

Despite all the hardships I face being a left-hander, I do have to say that I made out like a bandit because of it. Look to the picture on your left. Now look closely…that’s right. It’s a lefty guitar. Just like Hendrix, baby.

Anyway, I thought I would take a short break from my writing to celebrate with my fellow southpaws. On that note, let’s live it up! Apparently since we have nine less years of lifespan to do it in.

1. Like

August 13, 2012 at 10:11 pm

2. It’s just a jump to the left.

August 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

• Yes, I keep jumping left instead of stepping right. If I do it in a circle I may actually make my way over to Tim Curry.

August 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

3. I led a very confusing life because I was born left-handed to a family who superstitiously believed people would think I was “retarded” if they found out I was left-handed. So they forced me to be right-handed by tying my left arm to my side or slapping my left hand every time I picked up a pencil or crayon with it. Needless to say, it made things a little confusing for me when I tried to play baseball. In the heat of the moment when I needed to catch a ball, my brain knew I would need to throw this ball & it wanted to throw with my left hand, but that was the hand the glove was on. So I would tear off my glove, catch the ball (usually spraining a finger or two) & then throw the ball with my left hand. That would be it for me for the game too – because of sprained fingers I would have to sit the rest of the game out on the bench. I was usually picked last if you couldn’t guess. It did help when I fractured my right wrist a couple years ago – I didn’t have as much trouble learning to write with my left hand as most right-handed people during the 6+ weeks I was in a cast & then physiotherapy!

August 14, 2012 at 1:06 am

• That is an amazing story! My family is the same way, superstition-wise. Being old world Italians, they believe the Devil resides on the left side of a person’s body, so if they are left-handed that means they are under nefarious control.

Luckily my mother had the presence of mind to realize that this was a silly notion, and allowed me to develop my natural left-handed tendencies. I’m proud to say that I am quite an accomplished artist today because of it.

My father, however, taught me to play sports right-handed, because being a lefty with a right-hander’s swing gives you an advantage in sports like baseball, golf or hockey. I’m proud to say that I am quite an accomplished athlete today because of that, too.

August 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

4. I guess I’m lucky? Both my parents are left-handed. Imagine that! Now imagine my delight when my brother – the right-handed one – became the outsider. [evil laugh]
    My dad’s dad’s sister is also a lefty. My family was fine with it. I was also able to use my right hand quite well until I had to get a cast (I don’t remember why) that kept me from using it for a few weeks. Now I’m a lefty all the way. WOOHOOOO!

August 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

• Yes! Come over to the darkside! I write nearly as well with my right hand as I do my left, but only because I got teased about being a left-hander in school. Peer pressure is a bitch.

August 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm

5. Left-handed people are like pets. They’re cute. It’s so sweet that they think they can be like normal people, and be let out of the basement once in a while. Are you one of the left-handers that gets themselves pretty much all curled up into a ball when they write cursive, or is it just normal for you, only from the left side?

August 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm

• I am one of the lucky ones who gets unchained and is allowed twenty minutes of yard time per day. I get special treatment because I am not like the left-handed women your mother warned you about who write sideways…

August 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

6. Represent! I am weird in that I do fine motor stuff lefty, and gross motor skills right-handed. Whatever works, I guess. Appreciate the like on my blog! AND thanks for the links for donating books to troops–what a great initiative!

August 25, 2012 at 7:57 am

• Thanks for stopping by! There’s a whole lot of weirdness that goes on here so stop by whenever you want to join in.

August 25, 2012 at 8:04 am

7. Thanks for liking one of my posts! I really appreciate it! :)

August 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm