Holy Jayne It’s Firefly!

Attention all you shiny folks from the ‘Verse! Today is the tenth anniversary of the first episode of the uber series that hardly was, FIREFLY. You don’t have to be a Joss Whedon fan to appreciate his dystopian western turned cult-classic.

For anyone who’s read my novella REAPERS WITH ISSUES and enjoyed the antics of a horseman named War, you may want to pay close attention to a character named Jayne Cobb.

Here’s a big thank you to a young uber fan-friend of mine for her awesome video below.

1. Just watching that on Netflix. Missed it first time round. Pretty good show

September 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm

• When you’re done with the series, watch the movie SERENITY.

September 21, 2012 at 4:52 am

• Thanks, I knew there was movie, but couldn’t remember the name, and too lazy to google it. You have saved me from overexertion.

September 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

2. It is truly pathetic how much I adore this show. Almost as much as Supernatural.

I need help.

September 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

3. mbreazile

LOVE this show.

I bet your novella is awesome.

September 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

• I hope it’s half as good as Firefly. :)

September 21, 2012 at 4:53 am

4. A shame it was cancelled.
    There are two episodes with Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) in it. The second is hilarious and one of my favorites from the series. As is the one with Nishka.

Yeah, I know the show. And?!?

September 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm

• Of course you do! You are awesome.

September 21, 2012 at 4:54 am

5. OMG! Yeah, I was going to say some combination of the four people above me. I also saw this on Netflix, plus Serendipity the Firefly movie. All excellent! Sucks that it was cancelled. And I had only seen Christina Hendricks in pictures, and a couple of Mad Men clips, I saw this smoking hot redhead on Firefly, and after about 5 minutes it hit me – holy crap, that’s Christina Hendricks! And for a split second, she jumped ahead of Salma Hayek in my bucket celebrity list, before falling to second, where she’s been ever since.

September 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm

• I know what you mean. I’m a straight woman and even I would do Christina Hendricks.

September 21, 2012 at 4:54 am

• Especially in this. I don’t think I’ve seen her look better. And the character…

But mostly, I’m sad that this show didn’t catch on. At least he made Avengers and is making Avengers 2.

September 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm

6. That video is just awesome! As hard as it is to believe (it certainly is for me), I didn’t know about the series or the movie until well after the fact. I’ve now seen the entire series on The Science Channel and loved every minute of it. And Serenity… OMG that’s the best damned movie ever!!!

September 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm

• I agree! I always recommend the series/movie to people who think they don’t like SciFi. It’s good a show to cut their teeth on.

September 21, 2012 at 4:55 am

7. Destined to be on of the great overlooked, unappreciated shows. The 5-season masterpiece that never was.

September 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm

• I love that they aired one season, and yet here it is ten years later and there are people like me still praising it.

September 21, 2012 at 4:56 am

8. How much do Iove “Firefly?” I bought this t-shirt, and I don’t give a damn that only a select few get the reference:

September 20, 2012 at 11:49 pm

• I LOVE IT! Here’s my lunchbox:

September 21, 2012 at 4:50 am

• Crap. I couldn’t get it to post. It’s a pic of a FRUITY OATY TIME lunchbox.

September 21, 2012 at 4:52 am

9. “Firefly” is truly one of the greatest sci-fi shows to ever air on television, though I have never seen it on TV. I own a DVD set of the series and “Serenity”, too. One of the few times I’ve ever shelled out money for an entire series on DVD and absolutely worth the investment. Whedon is just plain brilliant. A real treasure. Long live Firefly!

September 21, 2012 at 12:51 am

• I agree. I am of the opinion that Firefly is the best of his work. It’s a shame it was cut so short. I can only imagine it had to do with timing.

September 21, 2012 at 4:58 am

10. The Elite of Just Alright

You just gained two hundred points in my book for this Ellis. It’s one of my top two tv shows of all time: the other being the new Battlestar Galactica. :D

September 21, 2012 at 1:20 am

• BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!!!!

September 21, 2012 at 4:59 am

• SO SAY WE ALL.

September 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

• The Elite of Just Alright

You know it too? It’s without a doubt my favorite television show in history. SO SAY WE ALL. :D

September 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm

• OH MY GODS!

September 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm

• The Elite of Just Alright

FRAK YEAH.

September 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm

• The Elite of Just Alright

FRAK YEAH. Also did you know that the guy playing Saul Tigh screwed it up in the opening miniseries? He said ‘Jesus Christ!’ when there isn’t a Jesus Christ in the BSG universe. Oops! :)

September 21, 2012 at 9:30 pm

11. Clearly didn’t spread too far though ;)

September 21, 2012 at 4:02 am

• Find it and watch it. You won’t regret it. Just don’t mention to HR that you watched it or you’ll never stop hearing Jayne Cobb quotes.

September 21, 2012 at 5:00 am

• He may already be lingering in the bloggosphere and therefore already know. Oh God!!

September 21, 2012 at 5:08 am

12. I admit not knowing the show (I don’t watch regular TV or rent many movies) … but hey – great video!

September 21, 2012 at 7:12 am

• Thanks! The odd thing about this show is that they only aired one season of it, but it has a huge following despite it’s limited running. Sort of like my generation’s version of STAR TREK. If you ever run into a lousy weather weekend you should make a big pot of stew and hunker down to watch all the episodes. You won’t be sorry.

September 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

13. I just found out about this series. Yay for Netflicks.

September 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

• Yay! Now you know what I mean when I say that I own Ma Cobb’s very cunning hat!

September 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

• I haven’t watched all of it yet. So I never know what you are talking about. Did you get the story? I swear I won’t be crushed if you think it needs work. I couldn’t decide if I should add the tagline at the end…
        If you already let the wolf in, it doesn’t really matter what your house is made out of…

September 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm

• I did get the story and I am going to post it, most likely Monday night! You did a great job with it and I can’t wait for others to read it!

September 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm

14. Crap! You’ve already done the story? I need to catch up! DAMN the stress I put on myself! LOL

September 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm

• You’ve got until spring so no worries. Besides, you’ve got better things to do, Mr. Blogger Idol contestant.

I will pay cash money for you to record yourself breaking into a Jennifer Hudson-esque version of “And I am telling you.”

September 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm

• I’ll look that song up, but I’m no Whitney Houston. For example, I’m still alive. Zing!

September 22, 2012 at 7:36 pm

15. I LOVED this series. It was so awesome! Who knew that a sci-fi western would work?! In fact, it was having it called a sci-fi western that kept me from its awesomeness for too long. Stupid genre stereotypes! Ah…ok. Rant over. Thanks for reviving my memories. You are very cool. Very cool.

September 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

• Thanks! The fact that it is ten years later and fans like us are lamenting its demise is a testament to it’s uber awesomeness.

September 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm

16. I loved that series and the movie! I think every time I see that it’s on, I watch it. Of course, I’m a huge Buffy fan, too.

September 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm

• I did not think I was going to like Buffy considering the premise, but the writing sold me from episode one.

September 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm