The sub-moronic ramblings of a semi-functioning illiterate

Dear President Trump

Arming a teacher with a weapon does not instantly turn that teacher into someone who is capable of taking a human life, no matter how proficient a marksman he or she is. They lack the intense psychological training and preparation soldiers receive that is necessary in order to take a life. Teachers are not soldiers and targets are not people.

Armed guards at schools is not a solution either. Anyone who has never taken a human life who says they can do so without hesitation is not someone you want armed anywhere near a child or a school. They will either become the kind of guard who stands frozen in a parking lot while children die inside, or they become a wannabe hero who takes a life because the opportunity to call it vigilantism presents itself. (*cough* George Zimmerman *cough*).

I have worked most of my adult life in the educational system and have only witnessed one instance where a decorated soldier successfully transitioned into teaching and believe me, the world would be a much better place if that man were in charge. But sadly, he is an anomaly. I believe that most teachers would not be able to pull the trigger on an armed child standing in front of them, especially if he or she knew the child. I know I wouldn’t be able to.

My vote, Mr. President, is not to react with defense, but with offense. Offense wins Super Bowls, right? So why not use offense to tackle this problem? Let’s put our tax dollars BACK into schools. Let’s hire more teachers so they are able to offer more one-on-one attention to students. Let’s serve healthy breakfasts and lunches because trying to do anything on an empty stomach is a waste of time. Support after school activities and pay the people who run these programs a reasonable wage to do so.

Maybe most importantly, let’s hire more counselors who can identify problem students early and then give them resources to help that child grow into someone who doesn’t become so disenfranchised that he or she shoots up their own school.

Did you notice, Mr. President, that when kids shoot up a school, they shoot up THEIR school? And why not? School is the entire world to a child, and if that child feels as though that world doesn’t want them, the rejection becomes too much to bear. And let’s not forget that the majority of people who murder children at school are children themselves. More guns are not the answer to that problem. Early intervention is.

Mr. President, we don’t need another mouthpiece for the NRA. We need you to make a pledge to invest as much time, effort and money into the safety of our children as you do anything else that crosses your desk.

Thank you.

Advertisements

1. It’s an asinine idea from the man in charge. He should know better.

February 24, 2018 at 4:44 pm

• I watched the video where he pitched this nonsense to the American public and then had the lunacy to ask, “Does anyone like this idea?”

Dead silence.

February 24, 2018 at 5:08 pm

2. “Arming our nation’s teachers to defend against mass shootings is not a solution because teachers, Mr. President, are not soldiers.” and they shouldn’t be sitting ducks either.That said,the President is NOT proposing all teachers carry a weapon;nor was he suggesting untrained teachers carry a weapon. Pay attention,get ALL the info(details included)and publish an exact quote. Some schools are already implementing the suggestion. Sorry,but i can list the schools that are now letting teachers who already have training and a permit to carry to be armed on school property. In addition they have put up signs warning potential attackers that there are armed personnel on the campus. No more gun free zone signs. Does anyone like this idea? You bet they do. It’s a shame though. When i was growing up you wouldn’t have given this any thought. It would have never concerned us. School was as safe as our home;where we were taught respect for parents,teachers,police officers and fellow students. We said the pledge,opened with a prayer. We were taught right from wrong both at home and in school.It’s great to remember those times but it’s not like those times anymore.It’s a very different,dangerous world.Everyone in our town had guns(my father included)and we,as well as my son,were taught gun safety. My son took a safety course and learned how to shoot. Nobody ever got shot at school. The idea that law abiding citizens give up their firearms is asinine. We have a basic law;you don’t murder a human being. The law abiding obey-the criminal doesn’t care what laws you create.You can create law,after law,after law and it’s just another law for the criminal to ignore and break. Once you take down the 2nd amendment I guarantee the 1st will be next and the rest will quickly follow. We will continue to support ALL the amendments.

February 24, 2018 at 9:29 pm

• Hello Therasberrypalace,

I’d like to start by listing all the areas where we are in agreement:

1. “The idea that law abiding citizens give up their firearms is asinine.”
      I agree. I spent twenty years in New Hampshire, a state with some of the most lenient gun laws in the nation and no one there shoots up schools. New Hampshire kids as young as ten own their own hunting rifles and know how to use them. These kids and these guns are not the problem.

2. “Once you take down the second amendment I guarantee the first will be next and the rest will quickly follow.”
      Again, I agree. Although I wouldn’t mind seeing the second amendment revisited. It was drafted when flint-lock rifles were the technological height of weaponry, therefore, the founding fathers were not tasked with dealing with the consequence of mass shootings. It simply wasn’t possible at that time. The weapons used in mass shootings today are not created for personal protection, they are created for mowing down humans, period. I am of the opinion that they belong in the Military and nowhere else.

3. “We were taught right from wrong both at home and at school.”
      I couldn’t agree more. We have raised a nation of flaccid children who either don’t know when to shut up or more importantly, how to go about having their needs met without resorting to violence. Choosing to not discipline your children is different than choosing not to abuse them. They need to know how to operate in this world, and they need to know that they don’t always get what they want.

4. “The law abiding obey-the criminal doesn’t care what laws you create.”
      We agree here as well, and it proves a portion of my point. You can arm teachers and students and staff and whomever you want. You can place as many signs warning potential attackers that there are armed personnel on campus and like you stated above, they won’t care. President Reagan was shot despite secret service. Fort Hood was attacked despite an armed military. Chris Kyle knew more about combat, weaponry, and self-defense than anyone and he himself was murdered. With his own gun, no less.

As you can see we agree on most talking points, but I seem to have failed communicating the ones where we disagree:

• I stated that teachers are not soldiers for a reason. My husband is a retired Army Officer trained in how to create soldiers and build armies. He spent over twenty years doing so, at home and abroad. He will tell you that handing a weapon to someone is not enough preparation to deal with the reality of violent self-defense. It takes more than a perfect score at a shooting range to prepare someone to take a life. It is even harder if that person is staring down the gun at a student they’ve known since he or she was child.

• I am very distrustful of someone who hasn’t taken a life or been psychologically prepared to do so claim that they can kill without hesitation. Again, my husband will tell you that these are the people who freeze up the moment gets real, or they mow down anyone standing in front of them. Neither situation is a good solution for school shootings.

• I am not suggesting we repeal the second amendment or even implement gun control, if for no other reason than 3D printers have rendered the argument useless. Any day now anyone can 3D print any weapon they want, so it’s ridiculous to try and legislate who is allowed to purchase what kind of weapon and when. What I am suggesting is that we spend more time dealing with what got these children to the point of murder in the first place. Hopefully then a teacher will never have to live with the consequence of killing a child that needed help in addition to all the lives lost.

Before I close out my reply, I would like to say that I respect your opinion and appreciate the time you spent reading my post and crafting a response. I believe we both can agree that if America does anything right, it’s allowing its citizens to voice their opinions without fear of reprisal. I thank you for stopping by today and welcome you back anytime.

February 25, 2018 at 3:57 pm

3. Perfect. I completely agree with you. I believe that humans by and large are scavengers, and to turn one into a predator requires intensive training to remove the ‘don’t-kill-within-your-species’ blocks almost all of us have. This training has implications on the person being trained, even if you never pull a trigger in anger. I’m against molding teachers into predators. That’s what the military is for. Teachers teach and nurture.

Also, I’ve always doubted the arguments that go like this: “The answer to the [thing] problem is to have more [things].”

I agree we can’t scrap the Second Amendment. But we can amend it.

February 26, 2018 at 10:38 am

• I value your opinion, ‘Rants, because it is formed based on education and experience. I wish more of the legislation being crafted today used this approach.

February 26, 2018 at 12:41 pm

4. You go, girl!

February 27, 2018 at 9:49 am

5. It’s crazy to suggest that arming teachers against a mentally ill person with an AR-15 is better than not allowing a mentally ill person to have one in the first place. If they don’t have access to such a weapon, they can’t even enter a school armed with one. Deciding to allow unstable people to purchase such weapons and the rest of us have to learn how to live with that is ludicrous. There was a shooting at a VA facility for veterans with PTSD. Three staff members, at least two doctors, were killed. Should we arm doctors next? It’s not limited to schools. Pretty soon there will be no place where we are not armed.

March 13, 2018 at 9:41 pm

• I agree. The mentally ill are fully prepared to die during their assault. No amount of warning signs or armed anyone is going to stop them. If that solution was successful, no one would have shot up Fort Hood or President Reagan. We have to devote our energy to figuring out why these things happen to begin with.

March 13, 2018 at 10:44 pm

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w